Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Thankful



Whatever your religious or societal views, it's hard to ignore the fact that this time of year is a season of giving. Why we sometimes wait all year to give perfunctory gifts or say perfunctory thanks is a mystery to me. At least we do it at all, I suppose.

I've spent a lot of time with myself over the years (practically every waking second), and I've come to realize, much to my chagrin, that I don't say thanks enough for what's given to me.

On this Christmas Eve, I want to say thanks. To you. Thanks for reading this blog entry. Thanks for buying CDs, for coming to a show, for taking the time to write and let me know that one of my songs means something to you. Thanks even for downloading my music illegally and sharing it with a friend.

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to do what I love doing most. Without you, I would be strumming my acoustic guitar in the basement. Forever. I've been blown away by the kindness I've experienced from club owners, from radio DJs, from fans, from fellow musicians. From you.

I can't wait to make music for as long as I can. No, I don't aspire to be one of those aging rockstars who has to have an ambulance waiting backstage. I won't say any names, Mick Jagger. But I do look forward to playing more shows, writing more songs, and building more friendships with people along the way.

I hope that this Christmas, this Hanukkah, this Kwanzaa...rocks.

No comments: